By Sybille C. Denninger
Hello, dear Readers :-)
Your favorite blogger is baaaack!!! Come on, at least pretend that you missed me haha. To make up for all the blog-less time while I hung around in Dubai, Algeria and Morocco for two weeks, I give you....wait for it....FREE things to do around our lovely Cape Ann this fall! Some of these activities are obvious but you know how it is: When you're living right here in beautiful Gloucester, you just don't think about all the great stuff that costs nothing and is right in front of us. So here are my suggestions for FREE FUN ;-)
- Go to Rocky Neck and stroll the awesome art galleries! Actually you can do the same on Bearskin Neck in Rockport, too. Or swing by Local Colors on Main Street in Gloucester where local artists and artisans display and sell their marvelous arts and crafts. Just keep in mind that if you buy something it's no longer free bahahaaaa
- Take a refreshing October hike in mysterious and kind of spooky Dogtown Common! The entrance is located on Cherry Street. Visit this website for a map and some information: http://www.thedacrons.com/eric/dogtown/visiting_dogtown_gloucester.php
- Walk the Dogbar Breakwater at Eastern Point where you may be lucky enough to spot migrating Monarch butterflies during the month of October! But even if you don't, the ocean views are absolutely worth the effort.
- Explore downtown Gloucester on the Harbor Walk! Start out at the Fitz Henry Lane Park and bring your smart phone for access to virtual postcards, recipes and videos.
- Have a family picnic at Stage Fort Park! Great way to clean out your fridge and pantry to creatively fill a basket with goodies :)
- There are public courts on Stacy Boulevard where you can play tennis, bocce or basketball. Get moving while the leaves are turning red, orange and yellow!
- Search for shells and seaglass at Good Harbor Beach, Wingaersheek Beach, Long Beach, or any of Rockport's lovely beaches! Your finds may give you great ideas for hand made Christmas presents.
- Collect chestnuts, leaves and acorns for crafts with the kids or to create pretty seasonal centerpieces for your home!
I don't know about you but my favorite season is fall. The fresh air and colorful trees are just fantastic! These free and fun activities will get you outside enjoying autumn, then come home to hot chocolate, tea and apple pie :-)
Happy Fall, Everyone!!!!